Job Title: Farm & Mobile Market Assistant
Commitment: Seasonal (March-November) Part-time (20-30 hours/week)
About Dutchess Outreach:
Dutchess Outreach is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that exists to widen food access, increase advocacy, and provide emergency relief to low-income residents of Dutchess County. This is accomplished through a variety of programs such as our Food Pantry, our community meal program-The Lunch Box, our Advocacy and Emergency Assistance program, the Dutchess Outreach Farm Stand, and through operation of the Dutchess Outreach Fresh Market (DOFM). Through these initiatives, we are working to uncover a deeper understanding of the social ills our community faces in order to create innovative, locally-minded solutions to achieve a healthier, more vibrant and sustainable community.
About the Mobile Market:
The Dutchess Outreach Fresh Market is a mobile farmers market on wheels that runs from late Spring through late Fall. We make stops throughout Poughkeepsie on a weekly basis about three days a week. Our market offers fresh, locally grown produce and other locally sourced products at an affordable cost. We accept all forms of payment including EBT/SNAP, Farmers Market Nutrition Program Checks, FreshConnect Checks, Credit/Debit, and cash. The 2018 season will mark our fourth!
About the Farm:
We aim to grow over half of the produce offered at the market each season as well as provide fresh food to our other food access programs. The growing space is about a half acre and is behind the Family Partnership Center, located in the city of Poughkeepsie, where our office and other facilities are located. This building houses many human service organizations that serve a wide range of community needs, attracting many people of varied backgrounds and it is important for you to be aware of this environment.
We are low-till looking to become no-till. We have a 30 x 15-foot hoop house and small solar panel system that was just built last spring. We are also in the process of creating a three-bin compost system. In our space, we also administer the Fallkill Community Garden. There are about 15 plots that are rented to and cultivated by local residents who wish to grow food for their own use.
Cultivating the land and growing food for the DOFM and our other food access programs is central to your role as the Farm & Market Assistant.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Mobile Market and Community Garden Manager as well as program and development staff.
- Crop planning and implementation. With the Market Manager, you will utilize the growing space to grow a large amount of food on a small amount of land.
- Driving: There are many local farms that contribute their excess produce to our different food access programs. You will be required to go to certain farms and pick up donations, likely on a weekly basis once the season picks up. The Mobile Market Manager and other members of staff will collaborate with you in order to plan for these pickups accordingly.
- More Driving: Though you will not attend many of the markets, you will be required to operate the market on occasion (about 5-8 times in the season). It is vital that you are able to drive the truck when it is attached to the 22 foot trailer.
- Volunteer management: About once a month, volunteer groups of about 10-30 come out onto the farm. You will collaborate with the Market Manager in order to organize these groups accordingly. We also get individuals who wish to volunteer on occasion and you may be required to work alongside them.
- Building relationships: This is a very relationship oriented job. Because of the unique location of our farming space, you will be interacting with the other community gardeners and local residents on a regular basis. You will also be in contact with market customers, volunteers, and farm partners on a regular basis throughout the season.
- At least one year experience growing food on a small or large scale farm.
- Driver’s license and ability to drive a long bed F-350 pickup truck on City streets with 22 ft. long trailer in tow
- Experience growing pesticide-free, natural, organically-grown food
- Ability to lift/carry 50 pounds
- Ability to work independently in various weather conditions
- Flexibility in food pickups and market assistance
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think creatively and solve problems
- Very organized and attentive to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Passionate about the community and addressing food insecurity
- Speaking Spanish (preferred)
- Sense of humor (preferred)
How to apply: Interested candidates are requested to apply by January 5, 2018. Please ensure your application contains your resume, cover letter, and contact information for at least two references who know you and/or your work to: APPLY@dutchessoutreach.org. If you have any questions, call Cloud Bartoli or Sarah Salem at 845-454-3792.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy: Dutchess Outreach provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, gender, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or genetics.